Last night, however, was the last bookclub for me, having just found out that I am moving to another town in January. It was, as usual, a great night, and I felt my first twinges of remorse about moving (well that's not exactly true, I'll really miss friends here but the move is a very good one for lots of reasons). The other bookclub members got together and organised a really touching farewell present for me: each of them chose a well-loved book from their shelves and wrote a farewell message on the inside cover. I came home clutching my pile of books (swaying a bit, but that was the wine), filled with remorse that I won't get to be there for future heated discussions.
This morning, after the hangover wore off, I examined my gift books. I can't wait to read all of them! They are:
- Gertrude and Claudius John Updike
- The Elephant Vanishes Haruki Murakami
- Passionate Minds: Women Rewriting the World Claudia Roth Pierpont (ed)
- Night Letters Robert Dessaix
- Intimacy Hanif Kureishi
- Rembrandt's Whore Sylvie Matton
- The Art of Travel Alain de Botton
Meanwhile, the search begins for a bookclub in my new town...