Sunday, October 28, 2007

Back to Mrs Dalloway

Shredding and slicing, dividing and subdividing, the clocks of Harley Street nibbled at the June day...

It is images like that that give me a feeling of exhilaration as I read Mrs Dalloway.

Finally I've picked this up again. My re-reading of Mrs Dalloway has been progressing painfully slowly but it's partly because the writing is so intense; a little bit goes a long way. Today I picked it up again after a hiatus of several months. The afternoon was warm and rainy and Mrs Dalloway was the perfect book to read on the balcony in between the batches of biscuits I was baking.

I'm beginning to realise what a socially aware novel this is. Woolf works important social and political changes such as the fall of the British Empire and the fall-out from the First World War into what is also an intensely psychological and internal narrative. That's probably not news to anyone else but I don't remember noticing this political aspect the first time I read the novel when I was an undergraduate.

Anyway, time now to head off to bed, listen to the rain fall on the roof and let a little more of Woolf's writing wash over me.

4 comments:

Eloise said...

I read Mrs Dalloway for the first time earlier this year, it is an amazingly wonderful book.

jess said...

It is, isn't it? I'm taking forever to read it though. I seem to enjoy it in small doses- a little bit goes a long way.

Anonymous said...

Reading Mrs Dalloway while eating homemade cakes... whow, it seems such a nice Sunday despite the rain!

Melwyk said...

It is such a marvellous book. You make me want to read it again; it's been a few years since I last read it.